History of the Three Daggers
The site of the Three Daggers pub has been occupied for almost 300 years in a variety of different roles. Local maps identify a barn for wool storage that was in place on the current site where the staff car park now stands. In June 1750 the barn was demolished and cleared to make way for the construction of a public house and inn. Little now remains of that original open plan timber building except for a few original roof beams as the modern pub seen today was primarily built during the Victorian period.
At first the pub had no name and was simply referred to by its patrons as the Three Daggers, in reference to the local Paulet Family crests which were embellished upon its doors and sides. The name seems to have stuck for almost 100 years, only being changed to The Lamb during the middle of the 19th century.
A common misconception is that the ‘Daggers’ was built as a coaching inn to cater for travellers going over Salisbury Plain. The main coaching inn for the village was always the George Inn, a much larger property that lay 200 metres north of the ‘Daggers’ and was built primarily for this purpose.
During World War II and at that stage named The Lamb, the pub was noted as a favourite drinking spot for those stationed at nearby Keevil Airfield and welcomed British, American, Polish and Canadian airmen.
Following extensive refurbishment, the Three Daggers reopened its doors during the Christmas of 2010. To complement the pub, in 2013 the oak timber frame farm shop and brewery were completed on the same site and these three elements make up the Three Daggers site seen today.